Sex Education has released their fourth and final season September 2023, which means fans of the show now have to find something else to watch to replace it. The teen comedy drama was created by Laurie Nunn for Netflix and follow the lives of teenagers who learn about sex.
What was once a taboo topic is now something you can often see in several shows. If you’re wanting to watch shows like Sex Education that not only talk about sex and other topics that used to be taboo, or wanting more coming-of-age, teen dramas and comedies, look no further than to this list of great suggestions.
20. Queen’s Gambit, Netflix (2020)
This 2020 miniseries is a coming-of-age period drama based on the 1983 novel sharing the same name by Walter Tevis. The story is set mid-1950s and proceeding into the 1960s and follows Beth Harmon, a nine-year-old orphan who is quiet, sullen and by all appearances, unremarkable.
However, when she plays her first game of chess, she grows happier, thinks clearer and for the first time in her life, she feels as if she’s fully in control. By the age of sixteen, she begins to compete for the U.S. Open championship. But as Harmon hones her skills on the professional circuit, the stakes get higher, her isolation grows more frightening, and the thought of escape becomes all the more tempting.
19. Trinkets, Netflix (2019-2020)
This teen drama is based on the 2013 novel sharing the same name by Kirsten Smith and released on Netflix on June 2019. In 2019, the show renewed for a second and final season which was released in 2020.
The show follows Elodie, Moe and Tabitha who become friends after meeting at Shoplifters Anonymous. The characters have varying different personalities and personas in school to keep each other’s friendship a secret. Elodie is an introvert, Moe favors a punk style, and Tabitha comes from a wealthy family. They all form a deep bond when they all find out about their shoplifting habits.
18. Bridgerton, Netflix (2020-)
Bridgerton is a historical fiction-romance based on the book series by Julia Quinn sharing the same name. The story follows Daphne Bridgerton, the eldest daughter of the powerful Bridgerton family as she makes her debut into Regency London’s competitive marriage market.
Daphne hopes to follow her parent’s footsteps to find a marriage of true love while also helping the family. With the aid of Lady Whistledown, the town learns about society scandal through her mysterious sheets written about the secrets of the ton.
17. Degrassi: The Next Generation, Max (2001-2015)
This Canadian teen drama was created by Yan Moore and Linda Schuyler and is the fourth series in the Degrassi franchise and a rival of Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High.
The series centers around an ensemble cast of students at a fictional Degrassi Community School who faces challenges in varying intensity, to relationships and sex, all the way to school shooting and death. Degrassi: The Next Generation is a great show like Sex Education if you want to dive into deeper issues.
16. Easy, Netflix (2016-2019)
Easy is a comedy-drama anthology series written, directed, edited and produced by Joe Swanberg and consists of 25 half-hour episodes. The series is set in Chicago and follows several individuals living in the area who are trying to navigate issues such as love, relationships and general knowledge.
While the series does include recurring narratives, it has an episodic anthology format with standalone episodes that do not require previous ones to watch.
15. The End of the F***ing World, Netflix (2017-2019)
This is one of the best shows like Sex Education. The British comedy-drama that follows James, a 17-year-old boy who believes himself to be a psychopath since he kills animals as a hobby but grows bored with the practice and decides to try killing a human.
When he settles on Alyssa, an angry, mouthy and rebellious classmate, she proposes that they run away together. Alyssa sees in James a chance to escape her turbulent home-life. James agrees in hopes to find a moment to kill her. They embark on a road trip across England and begin to develop a relationship.
14. Freaks & Geeks, Hulu (1999-2000)
Freaks & Geeks is a teen comedy-drama created by Paul Feig and set in Detroit during 1980-81 at McKinley High. The show follows two groups of teenagers, the Freaks with cool and charismatic Daniel Desario and tomboy Lindsay Weird and the Geeks with Lindsay’s shy younger brother Sam, Gentle Bill Haverchuck, and self-proclaimed ladies’ man Neal Schweiber.
The show follows the normal teen/adolescence problems any teenagers go through like acceptance, drugs, drinking and bullying.
13. Elite, Netflix (2018-2024)
Elite is a Spanish teen drama series created for Netflix by Carlos Montero and Dario Madrona. The series is set in Las Encinas, a fictional elite high school and revolves around the relationship between three working-class students who are enrolled at the school through scholarship programs.
Elite explores the concepts and themes associates with teen dramas, but also features more progressive issues and other sides to its cliches.
12. Skins, Hulu (2007-2013)
Skins is a great show like Sex Education and is a teen comedy drama that follows the lives of a group of teenagers in Bristol, South West England, through the two years of sixth form.
Its controversial storylines have explored many issues like dysfunctional families, sexuality and gender, substance abuse and mental illness such as depression, PSTD, and eating disorders. Each episode focuses on a particular character or subset of characters and the struggles that they’re currently facing.
11. Misfits, Hulu (2009-2013)
This science fiction comedy-drama features a group of young offenders sentenced to work in a community service program where they obtain supernatural powers after a strange electrical storm.
This is a great show like Sex Education if you enjoy the realities of young adults and teens learning about life, but want a more action-packed twist to the show.
10. Everything Sucks, Netflix (2018)
This comedy-drama was created by Ben York Jones and Michael Mohan that parodies teen culture in the mid-1990s. The show features ten half-hour episodes and is set in the town of Boring, Oregon.
The show focuses on a group of teenagers who attend the fictional Boring High School as they proceed to make a movie together while dealing with issues such as finding their sexualities, mental health and growing up.
9. Big Mouth, Netflix (2017-2024)
If you enjoy the blunt realities of growing up in Sex Education and want a bit more of that, then check out Big Mouth, an adult animated coming-of-age sitcom that follow middle school teenagers who are navigating puberty.
While struggling with masturbation, sexual arousal and more, the kids are followed by hormone monsters that help the kinds feel comfortable in their body and their relationships.
8. Gossip Girl, Max (2007-2012)
This teen drama is based on the novel series sharing the same name by Cecily von Ziegesar. Narrated by the unknown, omniscient blogger “Gossip Girl” the series revolves around the lives of privileged upper-class adolescents living in Manhattan’s Upper East Side.
The show starts with the return of famous “it girl” Serena van der Woodsen from a mysterious absence. Their lives are constantly watched and often ruined by the infamous blogger.
7. Ginny & Georgia, Netflix (2021-)
The bond between mother and child can be confusing, weird, maybe even strained at times, but Sex Education always shows the good along with the bad. And so does Ginny & Georgia.
The show is a comedy-drama that follows the Miller family which includes free-spirited mother Georgia and Ginny, her 15-year-old daughter and 9-year-old son Austin who move to affluent town called Wellsbury, Massachusetts for a fresh start. The relationship between mother and daughter in this show is strained, but their love always pulls through.
6. Sex Lives of College Girls, Max (2021-)
This teen comedy-drama was created by Mindy Kaling and Justin Noble and premiered on Max in 2021.
The series follows the lives of four 18-year-old freshman roommates at a fictional Essex College in Vermont, covering their sexuality active lifestyle as they deal with the struggles and hardships of college and adulthood.
5. Heartstopper, Netflix (2022-)
Based on the webcomic and graphic novel with the same name by Alice Oseman, Heartstopper is a coming-of-age romantic comedy drama on Netflix.
The story follows Charlie Spring, a gay schoolboy who falls in love with classmate Nick Nelson, whom he sits next to in his new form. It explores the lives of their friends Tao Xu, Elle Argent, Isaac Henderson, Tara Jones, and Darcy Olsson.
4. Derry Girls, Netflix (2018-2022)
This teen sitcom, created and written by Lisa McGee, premiered in 2018 and ran for only three seasons, but is one of the best shows like Sex Education.
The story follows Erin Quinn and her cousin Orla, as well as their friends Clare, Michelle and Michelle’s English cousin James as they navigate their teenage years during the end of the Troubles in Derry, where they all attend a Catholic girls’ secondary school.
3. Never Have I Ever, Netflix (2020-2023)
Never Have I Ever is a comedy-drama created by Mindy Kaling and is loosely based on her childhood experiences in the Boston area, starring Maitreyi Ramakrishnan.
The story follows Devi Vishwakumar, a teen living in Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, who takes us through her four years of high school while grieving the loss of her father, clumsily pursuing her crushes and discovering her true self.
2. Atypical, Netflix (2017-2021)
Atypical is one of the best shows like Sex Education. The comedy drama was created by Robia Rashid for Netflix and takes place in Connecticut. The story focuses on 18-year-old Samuel Gardner, or Sam, who is on the autism spectrum.
When Sam decides it’s time to find a girlfriend, he goes on a journey to discover himself and how to deal with relationships and being independent, all while his mother goes on a life-changing journey of her own.
1. Euphoria, Max (2019-)
One of the best shows like Sex Education is Euphoria, a teen drama that was created by Sam Levinson for Max and is based on the Israeli miniseries sharing the same name by Ron Leshem and Daphna Levin.
The story follows the lives of a group of high school students as they grapple with issues of drugs, sex and violence. The series focuses on the relationship between two young girls trying to find their place in the world: a recovering addict Rue and a new-in-town Jules.
CHECK OUT: Most Romantic and Sexiest Movies on Netflix
What Is Sex Education?
Sex Education is a teen sex comedy drama that follows Otis Milburn, a student at Moordale Secondary School who has a sex therapist for a mother.
While Otis starts out as embarrassed about his mother’s openness with the topic, he begins to learn that he might know more than a lot of his students and takes the opportunity to climb the social ladder by opening an underground sex session to teach other students what he’s learned from his mother.
Where to Watch Sex Education?
You can find Sex Education on Netflix.
Netflix has three subscription options that you can choose from.
– Standard with Ads allows you to the majority of movies and shows that are available with unlimited mobile games. You can watch everything on 2 supported devices at a time in Full HD. This is only $6.99 a month, one of the cheaper options.
– Standard allows you to watch unlimited movies, shows and mobile games with no ads. You can watch with 2 supported devices at one in Full HD, plus you can download on 2 devices at a time. You also have the option to add 1 extra member who doesn’t live with you. You can have this membership for only $15.49 a month, with any extra member being an additional $7.99 a month.
– Premium is the same as Standard, however you get 4 supported devices, can watch in Ultra HD, can download on 6 supported devices, and have the option to add 2 extra members who don’t live with you. This is $19.99 a month, with any additional member being $7.99 a month.
More From Asa Butterfield
Asa Butterfield, or Otis Milburn, is the main character of Sex Education.
If you want to see more from him, you’re in luck, as he began his acting career at a young age and is known for several roles at a younger age, some you might have heard of.
If you want to see more of Butterfield, start with these classics.
– Hugo: Asa Butterfield is a bit younger here in the 2011 movie set in 2931 Paris as an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station gets wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father.
– Ender’s Game: Another younger Butterfield in the 2013 movie where Ender Wiggin (Butterfield) is recruited by the International Military to lead the fight against the Formics, an insectoid alien race.
– The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: This 2008 movie is seen through the eyes of Bruno, an 8-year-old who is the son of the commandant at a German concentration camp who begins a friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of camp.
– The Space Between Us: Butterfield is a bit older in this 2017 movie and is the first human born on Mars that travels to Earth for the first time, experiencing the wonders of the planet through fresh eyes and embarks on an adventure with a street-smart girl to discover how he came to be.
Movies Like Sex Education
Sex Education does a great job at staying sex positive, something that is usually not talked about, or agreed upon by everyone.
So, watching something like this can be healing and informative for many. If you want movies that share the same theme, check out these great suggestions.
– Lust Stories: This 2018 movie on Netflix shows four short stories by four of India’s biggest directors exploring love, sex and relationships in modern India.
– Call Me by Your Name: The 2017 story is based in Italy in the 1980s where a romance blossoms between a 17-year-old student and the older man hired as his father’s research assistant.
– Blue Is the Warmest Colour: The 2013 movie follows Adèle’s life that is changed when she meets Emma, a young woman with blue hair who will allow her to discover desire and to assert herself as a woman and as an adult.