Documentaries are great for expanding your mind, passing time, and finding inspiration for new interests and hobbies.
With this in mind, we have listed the best selection of streaming services, where you can find countless documentaries covering every niche topic going. And many of them, include free trials, so you can try them before subscribing.
CHECK OUT: 10 Best TV Streaming Devices
These are the best streaming services for documentaries, not including the majors, like Netflix and Co.
6. A&E Crime Central
A&E Crime Central focuses on a specific niche of documentaries:
- The channel includes content that focuses on crime, murder, mystery, forensics, and law enforcement.
- Documentaries come both as series and feature-length.
- Available through Prime Video for a seven-day free trial and only $4.99 a month after the trial.
5. Epix Now
Epix Now is the on-demand service for the Epix Premium Network with an extensive library of over 2000 shows, series, and movies.
- In terms of documentaries, EPIX Now has a strong selection of documentaries. Including award-winning shows and movies.
- The downside of EPIX Now is that content rotates, meaning, you may want to watch a documentary that was available one day but gone the next.
- You can get a 7-day free trial to test out the service. After the trial, it costs $5.99 monthly and is available through Amazon Prime Video.
4. Daring Docs
Daring Docs brings you cutting-edge documentaries that were known to gain attention for right and wrong reasons.
- Diving into topics that may be controversial. The documentaries focus more on stories rather than factual learning found in science & nature, history, or technology topics.
- Daring Docs includes documentaries on topics like aliens, cults, conspiracies, etc. Including over 100 documentaries, there is definitely enough to work through for its monthly low price.
- Get a seven-free trial and then only pay $2.99 a month. You can get it through Prime Video.
CHECK OUT: 5 Best Universal Remotes In 2023
3. Doc Club
Doc Club is part of the streaming services Sundance Now and AMC Network:
- The documentaries focus primarily on true crime, thrillers, and dramatic series.
- Documentaries include Rose West Born Evil, The Pig Farm, Tales of the Grim Sleeper, and more.
- You can purchase this service through Prime Video and even get a free 7-day trial. The service is only $2.99 monthly after that.
2. Curiosity Stream
Curiosity Stream focuses primarily on factual and learning content:
- Documentary topics range across the sciences, technology, history, and nature. Plus the channel has over 350 documentaries.
- This channel does not include true crime, sports, or other related documentaries.
- You can get a 7-day free trial of Curiosity Stream via Amazon Prime Video, and after the trial, they only pay $2.99 a month.
Docurama is more specialized in documentary streaming channels. The content focuses on exciting stories and events hence the name:
- The great thing about Docurama is that there are 400 plus handpicked award-winning documentaries.
- The documentaries included aren’t about academic topics, but instead, focus on life stories.
- You can get a 7-day free trial of Docurama via Amazon Prime Video, and after the trial, it is only $4.99 a month.