The look of the Apple TV 4k set-top box hasn’t changed much in about seven years. But that doesn’t mean Apple hasn’t made improvements. For example, the hockey puck design has gotten a little meatier (from HD to 4K), and the Siri Remote has undergone significant changes. Simply put, the Apple TV 4K won’t disappoint (if you love Apple products).
It’s elegant, easy to use, and packed with the potential to support all your favorite apps. Apple has performed a nip here and a tuck there that may not be overwhelmingly exciting, but that has made the best just that little bit better.
Apple TV 4k Set-Top Box 2023 Review
It's more expensive than competitors and the technology isn't quite as fast or new, but when it comes to the Apple ecosystem, the Apple TV 4k Set-Top Box is the best the brand has to offer.
- If you need the Apple ecosystem on your TV, this device is an affordable route.
- The Apple TV 4k set top box supports dolby video, atmos, and HDR.
- Via the device you can play games from the App store.
- The device is small and will easily fit in any home entertainment set up.
- Without a deep sale, the device is expensive for what it is.
- The technology is getting outdated, with newer tech available from competitors.
Apple TV 4k Set Top Box Features
- 4K resolution with support for high frame rate HDR content.
- Including HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.
- To get the complete experience, it must be paired with a 4K TV, and 4K content is also required.
CHECK OUT: 10 Best TV Streaming Devices Right Now
How much is the Apple TV 4k?
It is a bit on the expensive side, with prices as such:
- It is priced at $164 for the 32GB model ($169 For The 64GB option)
- However, if you look around on Amazon, you can find a 128GB model for $169!
- The 128GB option adds a gigabit Ethernet port and support for the Thread mesh networking protocol to connect even more smart home accessories.
- The Siri Remote with USB-C is available separately for $55.
CHECK OUT: 5 Best Universal Remotes Right Now
What’s new about the Siri Remote Control?
- We are adding a new design with a one-piece aluminum body.
- There’s a click pad control wheel with five-way navigation, with the click pad also supporting touch gestures. The click pad’s outer ring supports a circular motion that lets you jog through TV and movie content.
- The Siri Remote is larger than the previous version and includes a dedicated power button that controls a TV’s power.
- It also includes volume buttons, a mute button, an option for pausing and fast-forwarding, and a menu button.
- There’s a side button for activating Siri.
- With the latest model, the remote now charges via USB-C instead of Lightning.
What is the setup for the Apple TV 4k?
Apple TV 4K is a dream come true for people who live and breathe Apple products. Fortunately, Apple is user-friendly, if nothing else, so it’s easy to set up. Plug in the set-top box with the power cord and connect to the TV with an HDMI cord that is not included with the setup. From there, your TV will prompt you through setup, and there’s only the touch-surface learning curve to hold you back.
How is the Connectivity with the Apple TV 4k?
The lack of an Ethernet port may be an issue for those who have flakey Wi-Fi in their home because one way to avoid connection dropouts while watching your favorite show is to plug it directly into the router via ethernet. If you think you might need to do this, then the WIFI & Ethernet Apple TV will be the one for you.
Should you purchase the Apple TV 4k?
The 128GB Apple TV 4K streaming media box is the best value for money from this product line-up, especially if you are already in the Apple ecosystem, but it’s also one of the most expensive.
Yes, they are expensive, but the Apple TV 4k streaming box is still arguably the best portable streamer you can buy. However, most people don’t think of them or use them as portable devices, but the Apple TV is a great gadget to take on vacation or a work trip.
If you can get past the fact that it is expensive, it is an excellent purchase to add to your Apple family that is well worth it if you don’t already have an older model.
If you already have an Apple TV 4k from previous years, we wouldn’t suggest purchasing the new one unless you want to update if you have a lot older model of the Apple TV 4k.